What is C4 model?
C4 Model is a software architecture model that provides a simple, scalable, and flexible way to describe and visualize software systems. Developed by Simon Brown, the C4 model is designed to help software architects and developers communicate the structure of their systems in a clear, concise, and accessible way.
The C4 model consists of four main components:
- Context: This level of the C4 model describes the overall context in which the system operates, including the stakeholders and their goals, the environment, and the high-level boundaries of the system.
- Container: This level of the C4 model describes the individual components of the system and how they interact with each other.
- Component: This level of the C4 model describes the individual components of the system in more detail, including their responsibilities and dependencies.
- Code: This level of the C4 model provides a detailed view of the code that implements the individual components.
When to use C4 Model
The C4 model is designed to be used in any software development project where there is a need to communicate the architecture of a system in a clear and accessible way.
It is particularly useful in projects where there is a need to:
- Communicate the architecture of a system to stakeholders and team members
- Ensure that the architecture of a system is aligned with the goals and requirements of stakeholders
- Facilitate the creation of a common understanding of the system architecture among stakeholders and team members
- Provide a basis for architecture-centric development practices and design patterns
- Help stakeholders understand the overall structure of the system and the relationships between its components
In conclusion, the C4 model is a powerful and flexible way to describe and visualize software systems. It provides a clear, concise, and accessible way to communicate the architecture of a system, and is particularly useful in projects where there is a need to ensure that the architecture is aligned with the goals and requirements of stakeholders.
Visual Paradigm Online’s C4 model maker
Visual Paradigm Online is a cloud-based platform that allows users to create and collaborate on C4 model diagrams and other types of software architecture diagrams. It is a powerful tool that supports the entire software development lifecycle, from requirements gathering and analysis to design and implementation.
With Visual Paradigm Online, users can easily create C4 model diagrams, including context diagrams, container diagrams, component diagrams, and code diagrams. The platform also provides a range of tools for collaboration, including version control, real-time collaboration, and commenting.
Visual Paradigm Online also provides a range of templates and examples to help users get started with creating C4 model diagrams, as well as a comprehensive library of C4 symbols and elements. The platform supports the export of C4 model diagrams to a range of formats, including PDF, PNG, and JPG, making it easy to share and collaborate on diagrams with stakeholders and team members.