Motivation is the cause of actions, intentions, and goals. Motivation is considered one of the most important reasons to move forward. It is the process of starting, guiding and maintaining goal oriented behavior. It makes you act, whether it’s drinking a glass of water to quench your thirst or reading a book to gain knowledge.
Extrinsic vs Intrinsic Motivation
Is it the motivation that comes from outside the individual (extrinsic) or the motivation that comes from within the individual (intrinsic)?
- Extrinsic – Your goal is to focus on one result and not meet your basic psychological needs. Instead, it involves external benefits such as money, reputation, power and avoiding consequences.
- Intrinsic – Your goals come from within, and the results of the goals meet your basic psychological needs for autonomy, competence, and relationships.
Motivation is the result of the interaction between conscious factors and unconscious factors. Mastering motivation, allowing sustained and deliberate practice, is key to achieving high levels of achievement.
Here are the common ways to increase your motivation:
- Set small and observable targets
- Keep positive
- Keep nourished
- Recognize excellent work
- Enjoy the process
- Celebrating outcomes.
- Challenge yourself
- Reward yourself appropriately
- Take a break
- Keep healthy, stay healthy
- See the big picture and share it