Breast cancer is a disease in which cancer cells develop in the tissue of the breast. Damage to these cells’ DNA results in uncontrolled cell division and growth, and enough cells aggregate to form a lump eventually.
- Did you know breast cancer is the most common cancer among women in Hong Kong?
- One in 19 women is at risk of developing breast cancer by age 75. In Hong Kong, an average of 6.2 people are newly diagnosed with breast cancer every day.
- The risk increases with age.
- Early recognition is your best defense!
- The important thing is to constantly check it by yourself and remind your female loved ones.
- Men can also get breast cancer, but not nearly as much as women.
Symptoms of Breast Cancer
A fresh lump is the most prominent symptom of breast cancer. Painless, hard lumps with irregular edges are more likely to be cancer, but breast cancer may be smooth, soft or round. They might even be painful.
It is vital that if you notice a lump or a change in your breast, seek immediate examination by an experienced health care professional.