Key Facts about Global Water Crisis:
- 844 million people, more than one in 10 people on the planet, lack access to basic clean water. It is estimated that women and girls spend 200 million hours a day carrying water.
- In rural Africa, women have to walk an average of six kilometers a day to carry 40 pounds of water.
- More than 800 children under five die every day from diarrhea caused by inadequate water and sanitation.
- By 2050, at least a quarter of people are expected to live in a world with chronic or persistent shortages of fresh water.
- 2.3 billion people live without basic sanitation.
- 892 million people practice open defecation.